Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday # 4

Top Ten Tuesday
Welcome to my Top Ten Tuesday list! The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates at The Broke and The Bookish, check out their site for more information.

Books are a very personal thing I've found. A friend of mine loves to be scared, so her definition of something fun would be a Stephen King or James Herbert.  I'm the biggest scaredy-cat cry-baby you ever saw, so something light and fun for me is something that makes me laugh, or where I feel like I want to be in the story myself.

Also something that means I don't have to think all that much, and that won't elicit a strong 'negative' emotion like grief or fear.

As usual with my lists, they are not in any particular order, they are listed as they popped into my head.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Really good fun, I was laughing most of the way through it, and I can't imagine feeling tense while reading this.

Any Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb book.

Yep, any of them. Even the dark and supernatural ones. IT must be something about knowing that by the end of the story evil will be defeated, the baddies will get what they deserve, the couple will get together, and all will be right with the world again. These are my comfort blanket books.

The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde

Yep, him again. I have thoroughly enjoyed most of his books, but I think The Fourth Bear is the better of the two Nursery Crime books, and this series is more lighthearted than any of the others (I admit I have not read the Dragonslayer series). Anything that can make you laugh or smile can't be bad.

Romances like Mills and Boon and the like.

They're light and fluffy, you don't have to think, everything works out at the end, and they're short. They're the spoonful of honey after foul-tasting medicine. The literary equivalent of a sugar-rush.

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran.

Snappy, funny and a quick-fix. The beauty of this collection is that you can pick it up, open it at any page and laugh. The downside is that you can't read it for too long before you need something with more depth.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

Science was never my strong point at school, and neither was paying all that much attention. This book was entertaining, and educational and Bill just makes things fun.

Chick Lit.

I mean such books as those written by Marion Keyes, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green (until Jane Green moved to Connecticut and got married, after that I stopped reading as she was only writing about being married in Connecticut). The same reasons as M&B Romances.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

All the books. Is an explanation really necessary?


No comments:

Post a Comment