Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday First Paragraph's # 6

Welcome to another Friday First Paragraph's.

I normally try to bring in a book that I'm about to start, to kind of whet my appetite.  I'm a little bit behind in my reading at the moment, and so this time I thought I'd bring you the first paragraph's of one my favourite books.  Chances are you've read it already, but who knows, maybe this will reach someone who hasn't read it yet, or prompt a re-read of this wonderful book.

It's all pretty good in my opinion and I had a job to know when to cut off, so there's actually quite a bit here.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

DEATH AND CHOCOLATE

First the colours.
Then the humans.
That's usually how I see things.
Or at least, how I try.

HERE IS A SMALL FACT
You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing in me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can  be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the As. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.


REACTION TO THE AFOREMENTIONED FACT
Does this worry you?
I urge you - don't be afraid.
I'm nothing if not fair.

Of course, an introduction.
A beginning.
Where are my manners?
I could introduce myself properly, but it's not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in tiem, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms. A colour will be perched on my shoulder, I will carry you gently away.


It later goes on to say

It's just a small story really, about, amongst other things:

  • a girl
  • some words
  • an accordionist
  • some fanatical Germans
  • a Jewish fist-fighter
  • and quite a lot of thievery.

No comments:

Post a Comment