Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book Review: W.A.R.P. The Reluctant Assassin by Eoin Colfer

W.A.R.P. #1
Publisher: Puffin
Format: Hardback
ISBN: 978-0141341750

For a few years I've been meaning to pick up the Artemis Fowl books, but it seemed like a big deal to start a new series when it was so far along.  When it was announced that Colfer was starting a new series (first saw here it on Fennell Books) I thought I would check it out as soon as it was published.

I picked it up and loved it instantly, and now that I've sampled some of Colfer's writing, I'm definitely going to look closer at the Artemis Fowl books, as well as keep an eye out for the next in the WARP series.

Short Synopsis:  The FBI has access to Wormhole Time Travel technology and so they hide witnesses in the past, supposedly safely.  One such witness meets Albert Garrick, magician and Assassin and his apprentice Riley in Victorian London.  Garrick and Riley travel through time and encounter teenage FBI agent-in-training Chevie Savano and wreak havoc in modern day London.

Albert Garrick is just about the best villain I've come across in a long time.  He's gruesome, remorseless, clever, calculating and a very challenging opponent for Riley and Agent Savano.  My niece and nephew (ages 12 and 14) would love him if I let them near the book.  They'll have to wait for it in paperback though, as there's no way they'll get their paws on my hardback copy!

What I liked best:  I have a soft spot for Time Travel stories, people out of their place etc...  Albert Garrick is a fabulous character, Evil as evil can be, but fab nonetheless.

What I liked least:  The idea of a teenage FBI agent being so gung-ho and all that.  I found it ever so slightly unbelievable.

I had a look to see what others are saying about this, and it seems other reviewers are more familiar with Colfer's previous works, and have been comparing this with them.  I don't have that background.  In summary if you like Artemis Fowl and his other stories you'll probably like WARP The Reluctant Assassin, but it won't be unfamiliar territory for you.  If you're like me and not familiar with Colfer's writing/previous novels then this is probably a great introduction.  Either way I think it's enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh - I want to read this badly, but am saving it for my holiday. I think you would like the Artimis Fowl books. Artimis is the baddie, but his background is revealed throughout the series, and you can't help feeling rather sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellie, it was really good fun I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm definitely adding Artemis to my list, though the list seems to be growing faster than I can get through them all. I have a week off work starting tomorrow, so I have a bunch of books lined up.

    ReplyDelete