Friday, April 26, 2013

I've started so I'll finish

I used to be the kind of reader that wouldn't dream of not finishing a book.  Really, leaving one unread was unthinkable.  I'm older now and my time is precious, and if a book just isn't working out for me I'm quite happy to put it down, well, back on the shelf, but you know what I mean, and walk away for a while.  It might be a week, or it might be years, but I will eventually return to the book.  Sooner or later the right time for that book will come along again.

That's all OK to a point, but when your shelf space is limited, like mine is, and it's filling up with partially read books, the time comes when you have to take the plunge and dive back in.

So in the tradition of TTT, and my own personal love of lists, here are the books I've started and vow to finish sooner rather than later.

In no particular order... 

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Coral Thief - Rebecca Stott
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Before I go to Sleep - S.J. Watson
Rules of Civility - Amor Towles
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears
Epitaph for a Spy - Eric Ambler

I'm pretty good at remembering where I left off, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick them up and continue.  If you are or become a regular visitor here you can judge my progress by seeing the reviews pop up from time to time.  There, that's my promise, my vow, made public so I daren't renege.

I just asked my colleague to pick a number from 1-10.  He chose 6, so The Night Circus will be the next book I read after The Woman Who Died A Lot.  If there's time I may even get to it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment