Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Favourites (aka Top Ten Tuesday)

Sorry for the confusing title.  I'm a bit behind the rest of the world... I just found another little meme that has me quite entertained at The Broke and the Bookish. Next week it'll be a different top ten, and I liked this one so here it is... my Top Ten Tuesday (on Friday).

Top Ten books I read before starting this blog.

They're not necessarily my favourite ten books ever, or even necessarily fabulously written, and they're not in any particular order of preference. For reasons that are entirely personal they are the top ten books that mean something to me...

1. Five Fall Into Adventure - #9 in The Famous Five books by Enid Blyton. A Christmas gift from my late Uncle S, when I was nearly 6. The first proper book I remember reading that wasn't a ladybird book assigned by my school.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - The book that made me realise the classics don't have to be the dull difficult books that they seemed to be in school.

3. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - The book that made me want to read Jane Eyre, and incidentally introduced me to the wonderful world of Thursday Next.

4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - Beautiful, wonderful, I loved it. I don't remember much about it though, maybe time for a re-read.

5. Nightfall by Isaac Asimov. I'm not sure if I read the short story by Asimov, or the adapted novel with Robert Silverberg. Probably the latter. Either way - I think about it every time I see a sky full of stars.

6. The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively - My first ghost story, I don't remember much except that I loved it. I gave it to my niece for Christmas last year and she liked it too, though she's more a part-time reader if you know what I mean.

7. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I studied this at school and though I knew it was a good book then, I hated school, and by association I hated this book for years. I wanted to re-read it, and the copy sat on the shelf for another year before I picked it up again, wondering if those old school feelings would return. They didn't, and I LOVED it. If I'm honest then I should say that I'm a little bit in love with Atticus Finch.

8. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier - I struggled with Rebecca before abandoning it, and feared the worst when this was chosen for book club. But it was great! I really enjoyed it. It's proof to me that you don't need to like a character to enjoy their story.

9. My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult - I'd read a lot of Jodi Picoult around the time I read this one, and thought I had her all figured out. I got most of it right, but not all. If you've seen the film with Cameron Diaz - don't compare the two as the book is SO MUCH BETTER. The book ending is much more dramatic than the film, the film kind of wimped out on the ending.

10. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak - Just magic! It was my suggestion that month, and one of those rare books that was universally loved by everyone. Death as the narrator was an inspired decision. The teddy bear for an allied soldier, Max's story for Liesel, 50,000 souls in one day, the smell of the sound of footsteps. Pure Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment