Monday, June 9, 2014

Monster Reads

If you’ve been reading my (not so) recent posts, you’ll know that I’ve been going through a fair old time of it lately, but I’m back on track again, and hopefully back to the blogosphere.

The one good thing about my recent move is that I’ve started some of those ‘monster’ books I’ve been putting off. I don’t mean Grrr type monsters, but the huge tomes that you think you’ll never have time for.

I moved 90 miles from Hampshire to Cambridge, and that has meant some long car journeys. Even though I have 700 or so songs on my little iPod you soon get tired of them, so I decided to try an Audiobook. I don’t normally get on with them, partly because I never used to have that many long journeys, and a long story in short 10-20 minute bursts just wasn’t worth it. So my first foray into Audiobooks is The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It’s much more pleasant than radio travel updates about M25 jams I’m already stuck in!

When not stuck in traffic jams listening to The Goldfinch (which is really good by the way), I’m reading on the bus. It’s between 40 minutes and an hour each way, so plenty of time to get stuck into a long book. The selected tome for this is a not so slim 734 page Stephen King novel called 11.22.63, which is also turning out to be really good. In fact this morning I was disappointed as I had to drive to work and couldn’t read some more.

At night I’ve been reading my kindle books, as my new paperwhite kindle doesn’t require the use of a lamp. I just finished The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. Another excellent read, and I’m having trouble finding another story on my kindle that grabs me as much as that one did.

No comments:

Post a Comment