Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday # 10

Welcome to my Top Ten Tuesday list! The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates at The Broke and The Bookish, check out their site for more information, but not before you've read the post below.

This week's theme is my Top Ten most Intimidating Books.

With one notable exception this list is of books I know I should read, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to bring myself to read them.  I have been told by various people, ready numerous reviews and am aware that all of these are brilliant stories.

  1. Animal Farm by George Orwell.  This is the one I have read, and was not the difficult or overly intellectual read I thought it would be.  Well worth it!
  2. 1984 by George Orwell.  I haven't read this for the same reason that I put off Animal Farm.  When I said I had enjoyed Animal Farm and intended to read 1984 soon, everyone said it's a very different book, much more intense.  I was immediately put off again.
  3. Russian Dystopian novels like We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.  The first few pages seem engaging and interesting, and I can't tell you why I haven't read more.
  4. War and Peace, Crime and Punishment etc... more incredibly long Russian books whose characters names you can't keep track of.
  5. Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.  Recommended by a friend, looks right up my street, but it's 900 pages long!
  6. The Count of Monte Cristo - I tried with this one, but the typeface was tiny, paper so thin you can see through it, and still it's hundreds of pages long.
  7. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.  Sensing a theme yet?
  8. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.  Started this years ago, but dystopian novels don't really appeal, so I've never finished it.
  9. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.  There's just something about war stories that puts me off.
  10. Misery by Stephen King.  I can't watch the film for long, I can't bear it when James Caan is being tortured.  I was given this for World Book Night 2012, and I tried, but didn't get far before I chickened out.  One day I'll be gutsy enough to try again, but not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment