Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday # 9, and a TTT Retrospective

Welcome to my Top Ten Tuesday list! The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates at The Broke and The Bookish, check out their site for more information, but not before you've read the post below.

This week's theme is my Top Ten reads of 2013.

I found it hard to narrow down my top reads of this year to just 10, so I've cheated a little, and had to be ruthless too.  For reviews of each book, check out the sidebar on the left.  Some reviews are due for publication over the next couple of weeks. In no particular order, here's my list:


  1. Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
  2. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
  3. A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine
  4. Calculated in Death by J.D. Robb
  5. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  6. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, and also Sea of Monsters, both by Rick Riordan.
  7. Over Sea, Under Stone, and The Dark Is Rising both by Susan Cooper
  8. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
  9. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
  10. The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway

Where I missed the last couple of Top Ten Tuesdays, here's my retrospective on those weeks:

On 11th June 2013 the TTT was our Top Ten Beach Reads.  I have to admit that I kind of felt we'd done this recently with the Top Ten lists for Fun.  For a beach read I'm of the opinion that such a book should be an entertaining but not gripping read, it shouldn't require too much thought, or emotional investment in the story.  If you think about it you don't want to be so lost in the story that you forget to turnover, and instead resemble a lobster on one side and a milkbottle on the other!  Also, if you keep stopping to make trips to the bar or dips in the sea/pool to cool off you don't want to be having to get back into the book every time.  For these reasons I refer you to my TTT list Books for fun

On the 18th June 2013 the top ten list was The Top Ten Books on my Summer TBR list.

The question is, with new releases and book club always adding to the list of books to read, will I manage to get through these?  As always, these are in no particular order.

  1. Game Of Thrones, plus as many of the sequels as I can squeeze in.
  2. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman, already started this and loving it!
  3. Down The Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos.  I am attending an Author Event in Bath in September, and I can't wait.  A novella featuring the child of a Mexican druglord who has a rather unique world-view.
  4. The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beaumann
  5. The Coral Thief, part of my Started, so I'll finish attempt to clear my bookshelves.
  6. Dissolution by CJ Sansom, this is our book club book for July.  Not a personal choice, but a must read nonetheless.
  7. Moonstone another one from my Started, so I'll finish attempt to clear my bookshelves.
  8. Nightfall by Asimov and Silverberg.  This was my first taster of proper Sci-Fi 20+ years ago.  It's the book club read for August.  I'm sure some will hate it, but I don't mind, I loved it the first time around.
  9. Epitaph for a Spy, yet another from the Started, so I'll finish camp.
  10. The Girl with Glass Feet, on the shelf for a year, it's about time I read this purportedly magical tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment