Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Review: The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
ISBN: 0340963115
Format: Hardcover

I bought this as a pre-order, and then it sat on the shelf for ages, as I'd been a little disappointed with it's predecessor in the series.  When I finally got around to reading I wasn't disappointed at all, Mr Fforde's back on track again!

I had previously read that the Thursday Next books were to be a 7 book series, and this being the 7th book I was expecting to see all the loose ends tied up, and for a while it seemed like that was happening, as there is so much packed into this story!  It's hard to do a short Synopsis as so much goes on, but here's my attempt...

This story takes places fully in Thursdays' 'real world' life.  Thursday and her family are older, Spec Ops were disbanded but are being reformed in a limited capacity, and Thursday aims to re-enlist.  God has confirmed his existence and is none too happy about things, and is determined to smite the world one town at a time, and it's Swindon's turn!  Aornis is up to her mindworm tricks again, and all our favourite characters are back - Jack Schitt, Braxton Hicks, Spike et al.  This is definitely one of Thursdays biggest adventures, and brings in many old and new characters, so it's not just Thursday against the world, which makes a nice change from earlier stories.

One thing I am very happy to report is that there will be another book!  This time in the book world!  Can't wait :-)

What I liked most:  Tying up of old threads, the stupidity surplus, it's not the last book in the series after all, Aornis's mindworm, Lobster obsessed nuns, Armed militant librarians, and the Chronoguard mystery.

What I liked least:  There's is soooo much going on that it can be hard to keep track of all the different threads, until they begin to coalesce toward the end.  We don't get to visit the book world.

1 comment:

  1. I really struggled with the Eyre Affair. I didn't finish it. Perhaps I should try again...

    ReplyDelete