Friday, February 22, 2013

Book Club Meeting

I'm sure I shant be blogging about every book club, but this was an interesting one.

The location - The largest (only?) inhabited roundabout in the UK.  The Shepherd and Flock pub in Farnham, Surrey.  Though half the group must have driven past it many times they didn't know it was there, apparently they drove a complete circuit around the roundabout once before realising how to get on it.  So was the Fire Engine that nearly drove through the side of the pub trying to turn around in a space not much bigger than itself.  It reminded me of my favourite scene in the first Austin Powers film... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKR9tCiwvA

A Dark-Adapted Eye had been reasonably well received.  There was a lot of puzzled discussion, and even talk of whether or not Vera was Eden's mother (I thought not, but who knows).  We all hated Francis.  I'd prepared some discussion questions, but totally forgot to take them.

Next months book is Animal Farm by George Orwell.  That's rather a small volume, and what I've read so far it's an easy read, though I may have to read a little more around the Russian Revolution to make sure I get all the references.  Maybe even get something like the York Notes or other study guide for Animal Farm.

As Animal Farm is such a short book we decided to read something a little longer next time, and chose for April's meeting The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  Having already started it I don't think that will take long to read.  It's a much bigger book than Animal Farm, but it's so entertaining and funny I think that will only take a few days to get through.

So I have put it to one side and will read after Animal Farm.  But as I can't just read one book at a time )I have a book for bathtime, a book in the desk drawer at work, a book (well, a stack and a shelf actually) in my bedroom and one in my bag, I have picked up Advent by James Treadwell.  This was one of my Christmas presents.  The first few pages look very promising.  I'll have to make it my next First Paragraph's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment